Re: creating boot image

John Summerfield wrote:
� wrote:
Couldn't find a nice guide through google, so I try here.

I'd like to create a boot image, where I already on the image itself
point out my nfs server and kickstart file so I don't have to write
the boot options everytime (linux ks=nfs:myserver:/somedir/ks.cfg),
always using the same nfs server for installation.
I then mount the image in my ilo (hp machine) as a usb or cdrom image.

In short, trying to perform a diskless/usbless installation with
preconfigured boot options.

I've seen the others' replies.
I have done it, with CentOS5. In my case, the network connection to my install server wasn't as good as my Internet connexion, but I wanted to ks. I don't recall now wither I used the Internet, or installed from DVD. Probably the former, the machine I used doesn't have a DVD drive, but I did set up transparent proxy (and cache).

I don't remember all the commands, but it would have been something like this: read all the relevant docs including how to specify where the ks file is. In my case, I decided to put the ks file on one of my servers so I didn't have to burn another CD or DVD to change it.

Unpack the ISO:
 mount -o loop,ro bf.iso /mnt/iso
 cp -pr /mnt/iso /tmp/iso
 find /mnt/iso -name TRANS.TBL -exec rm -fv {} \;
ensure it's writable
 chmod -r +w /tmp/iso
edit the isolinux configuration to specify the ks location
 vim /tmp/iso/...
put the ks file in place
  whatever
create a new iso.
mkisofs <google knows the proper command, and it should be in anaconda too, so read anaconda if you can't find it with google, I think Chris Kloiber had a script....> Burn to rewritable media. Important this, one chap I know of used a whole box of CDs before he thought of this.
One of
  cdrecord
  growisofs

Note to Anaconda hackers, if any are listening. Is there a good reason Anaconda shouldn't just have a peek at local floppy, USB and maybe optical media to see whether there's a ks file to be found, and use it?

You can tell anaconda where to look in the cmdline.  from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Options

"
ks

* Kickstart over NFS.
ks=cdrom:

* Kickstart from CDROM
ks=file:<path>

* Kickstart from a file (path = 'fd0/ks.cfg')
ks=ftp://<path>

* Kickstart from FTP.
ks=hd:<dev>:<path>

* Kickstart via harddrive (dev = 'hda1', for example)
ks=http://<path>

* Kickstart from HTTP.
ks=nfs(:options):<server>:<path>

   * Kickstart from NFS. NFS mount options are optional.
"

--
Joel Andres Granados
Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic