Re: please help, CentOS 5.1 kickstart installation looking for stuff from CD2???

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Pablo Iranzo G�mez wrote:
    Rudi,

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Yes, I just copied cd.iso to a folder and removed a few things I didn't
want. Later on I'm going to add a few rpm's which I want to the
kickstart to copy to the installed system.
I currently have all the files on a SME 7.3 server (which runs on a
very  modified version of CentOS 4.6) so I don't know if the createrepo
command will work, or actually do what it's supposed todo.

    You'll need :) createrepo updates files in repodata/ that are used
during installation.
Would this still work if the only other machine I have to my disposal to setup the ISO (where I'm currently creating the kickstart file & ISO file) is on a different OS & architecture?

Er. Windows?

For example, I'm writing & testing a kickstart for CentOS 5.1 x64, and I only have 1 64bit PC at this stage. But our LAN server, as I said, runs on SME 7.3, which is CentOS 4.6 i386 - will this make any difference?

Probably:-) AFAIk C4 repos work with C5.

I don't believe the architecture is important, but the version of createrepo probably is. createrepo is noarch, so it can be installed anywhere you like, assuming you have the tools (and on SME I expect you have)
rpm2cpio <createrepo....rpm | cpip --extract -d

You could use that technique to put createrepo into an area within your local mirror and so, if needs be, have several different versions for several different repos.

Failing all else, a C5 Live CD (or FC6 Live CD) should have all you need to createrepo; simply export rw from the SME system, mount on the livecd and have at it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait