Re: Unable to eject boot cd during kickstart install

dwight at supercomputer.org wrote:

I'm forking a thread on ks, because it illustrates something that's been on my mind for a while.

When I boot CD to net install (which I suppose the OP is doing coz otherwise it doesn;t make sense to head for other parts, media in hand), I'd like it to spit the CD out as soon as it's not required.

Normally, I use PXE but just sometimes, I might boot from CD and then install off a good ADSL connexion. Taking the CD ensures there won't be an install loop. Waiting for it's tedious.

bts I've just been testing PX+KS (CentOS5.1) on a 3yo or so Pentium IV. Takes a little less than 15 minutes, about what RHHL 7.2-3 took on Pentium IIs fdr a similar install.

In contrast, XP's equivalent takes around an hour and despite the .SIF file (equivalent to the ks) it insists asking more question. And then it's ready to install the applications such as office software.

Good Work JK (who I think's been on it all that time) and crew.

It sounds like there's some process left around which is keeping the device open. That would be the first thing I'd check. If nothing is obvious from a ps(1), then you'll have to dig deeper.

lsof(1) and/or an `fuser -v` are typically used to track this down. The trouble is that these aren't available from the F2 virtual terminal. I'm going from memory at the moment, but I'm pretty certain this is the case.

To use these utilities, you'll have to do something like the following:
   1. chroot /mnt/system
2. mount up /sys (Check fstab, it would be something like mount -t sysfs /sys 3. mount up /proc 4. /sbin/start_udev

You should then be able to use lsof and/or fuser.

You can also now do all sorts of other nifty things.

Note that to exit this environment cleanly, you have to clean up in the reverse order. Starting will killing the udevd daemon.
Hope that helps.

   -dwight-