RE: Boot parameters not working

Add autoneg off to ethtool, and make sure you are using the right quotes (if you copy/pasted, you are using ' not ")

 eth0_ethtool="autoneg off speed 100 duplex full"

Also, the version of kickstart you are using simply may not support the ethtool statement.  I believe ESX is based on an older version of RHEL.

From: kickstart-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kickstart-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gabrie
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 12:13 AM
To: Discussion list about Kickstart
Subject: Boot parameters not working

Hi

For auto-install of ESX hosts, I use kickstart (through the Ultimate Deployment Appliance UDA). This UDA generates my kickstart file and boot parameters.

I've noticed that when using the nic at 1000Mb - Full Duplex, the kickstart scripts stops after "doing kickstart... setting it up". When at cisco switch level I change the port speed to 100Mb - Full Duplex, the script runs fine. Unfortunately, after the install is finished, I realy need that 1000Mb, so I would be nice if I could configure the nic at 100 during install.

I tried adding " eth0_ethtool='speed 100 duplex full'  " to the boot parameters line, but this doesn't seem to have any effect.

My bootline looks like:
append ip=dhcp ksdevice=eth0 eth0_ethtool='speed 100 duplex full' load_ramdisk=1 initrd=initrd.esx301 network ks=http://172.29.26.249/kickstart/es020.cfg ESXIP=20

Any tips?
Gabrie