Re: static network configuration ask

After much messing around.   I figured out a way to get it to go interactive for the network config.   On top of that, it appears to persist once the host is rebooted.

I pass it the option ip=192.168.50 and it kicks out to the network configurator every time!

So far giving it a broken config is the only way I have found to do this.   They really need an "ask" option to the network config stuff to make it go interactive during that portion of the setup.

Thank you gentlemen for your help.    I am very glad to have found the answer to this one.

On 8/31/07, Edward F. Brown < ebrown@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, August 31, 2007 11:56 am, Kit Stube wrote:
> At this point, this is what I have:

> network --bootproto static --device eth0 --nameserver
> 192.168.49.107--netmask
> 255.255.255.0

If you aren't passing the nameserver('dns=') and netmask parameters at the
boot prompt, this is probably why the hostname is not being configured.
The reverse lookup happens before the kickstart file is read.

Again, you can customize syslinux.cfg within boot.iso, if you use cd's to
initiate the install, and have as little as just a target name and ip
address to enter at the boot prompt.  Advantages: absolutely no files to
edit to kick a new system, no mac addresses to determine... Disadvantages:
need to recreate cd with update level changes...

-Ed