Re: Using Kickstart to deploy Debian servers?

Michael DeHaan wrote:
Daniel Segall wrote:
I feel dirty even asking this, but here it goes. I have been tasked with the unlucky job of setting up a deployment solution for Debian servers. I have an existing Kickstart server that I call via altiris (we mostly use blades). Does anyone know if there is a relatively easy way to create a kickstart config for Debian "etch"? I really don't want to setup FAI if I don't have to.

Thanks,
-Dan

Debian has it's own system of answer files that are different from kickstart.

Well, actually...  ubuntu isn't debian, but...

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.10/ubuntu/installation-guide/i386/automatic-install.html#kickstart

(I have no personal experience with this. Most likely this is nowhere near 'relatively easy' to use with etch yet, but maybe in the future?)

The kernel options change from "ks=blah" to "auto=true url=blah".

I'm told (user patch, haven't tested) it actually works with "cobbler distro add" if you specify "--breed=debian", though you could just as easily do this all yourself.

You may also want to look at FAI -- http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

I think he specifically wanted to avoid that if possible.

-dmc