Re: static network configuration ask

Kit Stube wrote:
Cobbler looks cool. Kinda like a front end for pxelinux and isc dhcpd? The problem we have is we don't want to have to look up the mac address for a host in order to configure it. Cobbler seems to rely on that.

Nah, you don't :)  At least not in newer versions ...

Starting with 0.6.x (0.6.1 is out today -- I recommend installing that), you can name a system anything arbitrarily. If you know the MAC address, it helps to use that so we can assign a specific kickstart -- you can also use the ip if you know that instead. Otherwise you can pick a specific profile and just assign that to be the "default" for all PXE booting systems. You can also use it to create a PXE menu, so you can walk up to a machine while it's booting, type "menu", and pick what you want.

Currently we have our dhcp server on an install network dump anyone that netboots on that network to a default pxelinux menu. That default menu allows a person to chose an os to install. Chosing one kicks them into one of several different default kickstart files. If I could get kickstart to ask for static network information like it would if I was installing from CD, I would be done.

I should have read further before typing.    Yeah, we can do that :)

The MAC address way of assigning the static info works really really well though, if you can start doing it. I like kickstarts to be fully interactive because I can start them and not have to baby-sit. Plus mapping a system to a new profile is as easy as:

cobbler edit --name=<MAC> --profile=<newprofile>

--Michael