Re: Installing minimal number of packages

Joe_Wulf wrote:
Michael, thank you very much for the feedback.
Those PDF's I'll surely take a look at.

The /root/anaconda-ks.cfg does seem to pick up some of the unique qualities of
the HW
installed on.  But, seems to loose specifics, such as anything in %post.  Also,
the
adding of a user doesn't seem to have an equivalent during the install or post
sections.
Ok, I wasn't aware of that.

Maybe some one has an answer for that, though you might want to file an RFE in bugzilla about keeping the %post and user stuff.

I've looked at that describes how to build a system, and manipulate firstboot to
meet
my needs.  Maybe that isn't a kickstart 'thing' either.  Don't know yet.

Typically I disable firstboot in kickstart. (firstboot --disable). One thing you can do if you want is to create a service script in /etc/rc.d that runs what you want on boot, and then the last line of that script you can disable the script by either moving/deleting it or running chkconfig to disable it. Effectively you've done the same as firstboot, without using firstboot. That being said, I'm sure
there are others that get good mileage out of it.

The other way to go would be to pick up a configuration management system (puppet, cfengine, bcfg2, etc) and let the configuration management system do the post-install setup you require. That is really the ideal approach.