Re: Loading device firmware in kickstart

Thanks, unfortunately I was hoping to stick with a generic kernel because though I know how to build a standard kernel, I'm not sure how to build what used to be known as a "BOOT" kernel.

It looks worse than this though, from what I can see I need "udev" user-space hotplug support to load firmware. That means among other things getting "udevd" to start at boot. I highly doubt any of that is encoded in the standard kickstart image and may be a bear to get in. I can't seem to find any examples of someone using "udevd" in kickstart either...

Fun, fun, fun.

Thanks again,

			- Matt

Caetano, Greg wrote:
Matt:

From the ipw2200 install document:

MAKE SURE THAT THE FOLLOWING CAPABILITIES ARE ENABLED:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#define CONFIG_FW_LOADER 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ipw2200 loads firmware via the Linux firmware hotplug capability (see
later
section on firmware loading).  In 2.6.x, this is enabled via menuconfig:

        Device Drivers ->
                Generic Driver Options ->
Hotplug firmware loading support

Greg Caetano
HP TSG Linux Solutions Alliances Engineering
Chicago, IL
greg.caetano@xxxxxx
Red Hat Certified Engineer
RHCE#803004972711193