PXE boot after Flash boot? (was Re: Flash Drive)

Joe Cooper wrote:

Another aside...I use PXE booting when I have a slew of servers to install. No messing about with physical media...but you do have to setup a few things on a local server.

An aside to your aside on PXE: I do the same when Im on a local net where I control the DCHP server and can set the 'next server' pointer to my PXE server. On that server I have archived dozens of linux flavors, Knoppix, Windows Unattended, etc. and can install all of them via PXE with customized kickstart files. Problem is, on our wide area net I dont control the DHCP server. Id like to still be able to boot a remove machine from flash drive with the smarts to get me to the PXE server. A given RH/Fedora boot kernel + initrd will only allow you to install its matching distro version. Any thoughts on ways around this?* Perhaps there's a way to chain boot into a PXE 'like' image with the IP address of the PXE server already dialed in. It still needs to make the DHCP request though to get its IP, gateway router, maybe DNS, etc at the remote site.

Mark

* PS - Also tried hacking etherboot images and this worked, but is NIC dependent and difficult to maintain.