Re: ks] Re: Getting install log on a remote machine

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Chris Lumens wrote:

Not yet.  I just started working on all the logging support in anaconda
today.  The goal is to convert it to using Python's logging class, which
will allow us to log to files, syslog running on a remote machine, mail,
web servers, sockets, etc.  I don't know if all those mechanisms will
make the cut for what we'll support, but at least one network mechanism
will be supported.

I guess now's as good a time as any to ask if people have any particular
features, annoyances, or comments on logging.

Assumedly, you will need to pass out a logserver IP or name, and append it to a working /etc/syslog.conf, an (re)start the syslogd.

I have seen parameters to pass out timeservers in DHCP; I assume we can do logservers in like fashion (DHCP options 004 or 042 for timeservers) -- It seems to be:
      Option code 7 (Log Server Option).
per this documentation:
   	http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/109/dhcp_and_docsis_config_cm.html
but I have not seen DHCP provided logservers documented in Linux space, nor tested this. (I will look into it)

In testing, the option line:
   option log-servers 10.16.1.253 ;
seems to work as a matter of syntax for my local /etc/dhcpd.conf , and I assume the Option can be extracted in a Python application to build the syslog destination IP.

- Russ Herrold