Re: kickstart and network configuration

--On Friday, July 15, 2005 10:55 AM -0700 Phil Oester <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 01:50:11PM -0400, Scott Adkins wrote:
I am having an issue with using a single kickstart for two different
models of similar hardware (IBM Blade Center model 8678 and model 8832).
Apparently,
the newer model flips its concept of what is the primary ethernet,
causing eth1 to come up instead of eth0.  Since both interfaces actually
have link state on them, I can't just "not specify" and expect the right
one to be chosen.  So, I am trying to find a better way to adapt to the
hardware.

First off, the line "network --bootproto dhcp --device eth1" is required
to get the newer blades to boot.  However, it will break the older
blades.

How about something like this in PRE:

if [ -n "dmidecode | grep 8678" ] ; then
   echo "network --bootproto dhcp --device eth1" > /tmp/ksnet
else
   echo "network --bootproto dhcp --device eth0" > /tmp/ksnet
fi

Then %include /tmp/ksnet where you would normally put the network
line.  Since you mention serial numbers, you could also use
that in your tests.

Phil

Wow!  I have been looking for all kinds of commands that would give the
model type, and you came up with one right away! :)

I will give that a try, and I won't need to do anything with serial
numbers, hopefully :)

So, I am still confused about %PRE.  Does it execute after every reboot?
Or does it execute only once, after something specific occurs?

Thanks!
Scott
     Scott W. Adkins                http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/
  UNIX Systems Engineer                  mailto:adkinss@xxxxxxxx
       ICQ 7626282                 Work (740)593-9478 Fax (740)593-1944
    PGP Public Key available at http://www.cns.ohiou.edu/~sadkins/pgp/