Re: Network kickstart weirdness

Dan Peterson wrote:
We ran into this as well. It seems to be a problem with the E1000 adaptor
(which the 2650 and 1850 [and others] are sporting). Check out
http://www.redhat.com/archives/kickstart-list/2005-March/msg00087.html
From mem doesn't just affect E1000's. Its actually related to the loader/kernel 'resetting' the NIC interface. The switch, in non-portfast mode, then goes through its steps of LISTEN, LEARNING, FORWARDING etc related to standard spanning tree behaviour to protect against bridging loops in the network. In standard spanning tree this can take upto 30 seconds, although variants do exist to reduce this time, which would disrupt requests for DHCP information and/or fetching of Kickstart files.

We modified init.c as described in that note; rebuilt loader and put it back
in the initrd.img. Problem solved. Not clean, not pretty, but effective!
Just a hack to get round the STP timers. Maybe a cleaner option would not be to reset the interface if booted via PXE, although how would wouold detect this I don't know.

HTH