Re: Cfengine ?

I was asked for a question: how can I use kickstart to apply any "patch" (or another change) on already installed hosts ? Maybe cfengine, I mean (but I haven't enough time to apprehend his concepts, I think)...
What are you using for ?

We have developed a system that allows to install various file formats easily in post and to be able to simply keep the install tree and the installed computers in sync.

We mount an directory via NFS in %post and execute some script found in the postscripts/ subdir. These scripts do varios things ans start with numbers (Sys V init like) to get called in the right order:

 * Install RPM, TARs, patches contained in a subdir per file format.
 * Copy a directory tree to / containing edited config files.
 * Doing some configuration, like calling chkconfig
 * inserting this

To be more flexible we use several directories (I call packages) with the same structure.

In addition we use an update mechnism that keeps an version number per package on each maschine. This version number is kept uptodate in the install tree, so newly installed maschines do not install updates. Each package has an update/ dir which contains updates in the form MAJOR.MINORNAME. MAJOR and MINOR are numbers NAME is ignored. A smal python script installes all new updates and increases the local version number.

Updates can be files or symlinks. Some known name patterns are treated special like: *.rpm, *.tar, *.tgz, *.tar.gz, *.patch */files/* (links to files in our tree of changed files). Everything else is treated as an script. We even have a script that sets the symlinks with the right number.

This allows to fix the install tree and simply set an symlink an the new/changed file in most cases.

There is some documentation available

http://w3studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/dokumentation/wiki/KickStart
http://w3studi.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/dokumentation/wiki/FeDora1

but it is a bit outdated and not in ane excellent state... Most parts should be English some passages are still German

	cu

		Florian Festi

Btw: Right now we install most RPM with yum and a RPM list. This seams to be very slow but more stable and less error prone that Anaconda.