Re:Network Kickstart FC2 installation on PXE and NFS

Dear All,

I tried to set-up a kickstart installation through PXE and NFS.

On the server I have setup the DHCP, TFTP and NFS.

On dhcpd.conf I have set the :
next-server 192.168.20.100 (the dhcp, tftpd and nfs server).
filename "pxelinux.0"

On the /tftpboot, I moved the /tftpboot/linux-install content to /tftpboot
basically the moved file is pxelinux.0 and the pxelinux.cfg directory.

I have placed on the /tftpboot the vmlinuz and initrd.img from FC2
CD No1  (/images/pxeboot/*) .

To test the system I am putting this in the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default

label install
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.img
IPAPPEND 1

With this configuration, the client is booting OK, pick up the dynamic IP
address from DHCP, start the vmlinuz and initrd.img,
start the text based installation from /sbin/loader OK.
Then I choose to get the install tree from NFS server 192.168.20.100
with directory /tftpdboot/fc2.  The installation then goes to windows
interactive mode, and I can install FC2 till its completion OK.

Now I want to use the Kickstart, so I changed the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
file to this:

label install
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
IPAPPEND 1

I generate the ks.cfg using the GUI Kickstart configurator.

With this configuration during startup, the client load vmlinuz and initrd.img OK.
then it goes to /sbin/loader and stops there.

On the server I could not see that the NFS request ever being made by the client.

I have put different flags like netowork ksdevice, etd on the /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default
file to no avail.

Can anybody help please.
Do I need to create a specific initrd.img with NFS enable? If yes how do I do it. Thanks.

FL. Wahidin

No NFS server? You've instructed Kickstart to fetch its config file fro
"ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg", specifying an "nfs" server
(the other [network] option is http).

To quickly setup NFS, try this:
1. Add a line "/tftpboot	*(ro,async)" to /etc/exports
2. Start up the "portmap", "nfslock", and "nfs" services in order (e.g.
"service portmap start"), if they're not already running.

Cheers,
Phil
Thanks,

The NFS server works OK, because if I go to the interactive mode, (ie. specifying
label install
   KERNEL vmlinuz
   APPEND initrd=initrd.img
   IPAPPEND 1 )
and specify exactly the same server address and mounting directory during the installation,
the installation will proceed by mounting the NFS path fine without problem.

I have noticed from the /var/log/messages,
that when using the nfs kickstart configuration( ie. specifying
   label install
   KERNEL vmlinuz
   APPEND initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
   IPAPPEND 1 )
the NFS request was never being attempted by the client at all.

I have also tryed by specifying
APPEND ksdevice=eth0 initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg
or
APPEND ksdevice=eth0 initrd=initrd.img network ks=nfs:192.168.20.100:/tftpboot/fc2/ks.cfg

And the NFS mount is still never being attempted at all.

Regards,

FLWahidin