Re: Upgrading kernel-BOOT

On 2003.12.19 10:28 Torvald Baade Bringsvor wrote:
The kernel-2.4.18-3.src.rpm contains a spec file which builds all kinds
of

Thanks for the info. I downloaded kernel-2.4.18-3.src.rpm but can't find a
spec file. Is it hidden away somewhere?

kernels, among other the BOOT variety. So you need to install the
src.rpm,
modify the spec file to install the patches you need, and run rpmbuild
-bb
kernel.spec (you could modify the spec file to just build the BOOT
kernel,
to save time). And voila, in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 you have a new
kernel-BOOT-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm.

-Torvald

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Leonard [mailto:ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 19. desember 2003 11:23
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Upgrading kernel-BOOT

Greetings,

We have a kickstart install based on RedHat 7.3. We find that on a
particular
motherboard the CD boots but then linux can't find the cdrom driver. The
solution
appears to be to replace the kernel. This appears to be in
kernel-BOOT-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm.

So I need to upgrade it. However I can't find a srpm file or a spec file
anywhere.

Can anyone advise on what to do next?

TIA.

--
Ian Leonard

Please ignore spelling and punctuation - I did.