Re: Boot to LAN option

RD> I awould like to use the Boot to LAN option but I am not sure how
RD> to do this, especially with a system that has no OS on it at all.

It's really easy.  You need pxelinux, which is part of the syslinux
package, along with running DHCP and TFTP servers.

There's some info on setting this up on the main syslinux site: see
http://syslinux.zytor.com/pxe.php

You can just copy the vmlinuz and initrd.img from a Red Hat boot CD
onto the TFTP server and set pxelinux up to boot it.  My
pxelinux.cfg/default file looks like:

DEFAULT ks
DISPLAY boot.msg
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 100
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img ks=nfs:nfs.server.edu:/path/to/ks.cfg

(boot.msg just says that the machine is going to reinstall and that it
should be rebooted if this is not intended.)

You may need other options depending on what release you're trying to
install; just look at the boot CD's syslinux.cfg file, which has
the same format.

Once this all set up, you can do some neat things.  I have my machines
set up to boot from disk and then from net, so for a fuly automated
remote reinstall I just wipe the MBR of the disk and reboot.

 - J<