RE: Kickstarting Windows

I see no value kickstarting windows.  IMHO, the best installer for any OS is the
native installer.  Work that you do to rollout Windows (e.g. with
unattended.sourceforge.net) can be easily adapted as newer versions appear.  You
probably already know that about kickstart.  Very easy to adapter to a
newer/different OS that also uses kickstart.

I remember another project (that I will not name) that attempted to replace the
native installers for all Linux distros.  The attempt was a single network
installer for any Linux OS for any hardware platform.  IMHO it was a
failure--trying to figure out what RPMs to install and what anaconda(RH) and
autoyast(SuSE) are also doing under the covers to create the OS.  And it had to
be maintained very frequently--consider the number of OSes/platform that just RH
and SuSE produce each year.

I have to support RH, SuSE and Windows on x86, x86_64, and ia64, and soon PPC.
And I network install all of them.  In my experience building a framework above
the native installer works best.  I use kickstart for RH, autoyast for SuSE, and
partimage for Windows (partimage is a ghost like solution that runs on Linux and
is free, most of my customers prefer to image rather than install for windows).
I will be adding the unattended.sourceforge.net solution soon for scripted
windows installs.