Re: curses ascii-art dialog boxes during kickstart install

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Taylor, ForrestX wrote:

> > > What all did you remove from the default install?
> >
> > I went from a standard redhat 8.0 to a single 200Meg CD.
> >
> > So - almost everything ..
> >
> > In particular, anything X-related.
>
> If you want a text install, you need ncurses.  If you want a graphical
> install, you need XFree86.  Why don't you put the kickstart file on the
> CD instead of on the floppy?

I install ncurses. It is on my package list - that includes things like
anaconda, that the install scripts use, but are not strictly needed in
my final install. My package list has kernel-BOOT.

I talk about floppies because every one is different.

Different machine name, the main one.

That means different exim config, different /etc/sysconfig/network,
different /etc/hosts, another /etc/uucp/passwd, another /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

Another LDAP preload.

I want to mail the same CD, different floppy. Maybe I should burn a
different CD every time. But I want people to download it off the net,
in africa. That means the same CD, a different floppy. Bandwidth is expensive.

I have all that - actually, it works.

Back to the subject - I want the regular redhat thermometer install.

Which package provides "formatting /var" as a red line moving from left
to right ?

I get that when I say "linux text" - and I want it back. Try it.

I currently get (works fine ..) "formatting 44%" - I have never seen it
before, I do not believe you have seen it either. Someone on this list
has seen it, and knows why.

Repeat - I do not want, or need, X.

Cheers,  Andy!