Re: curses ascii-art dialog boxes during kickstart install

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Cameron, Thomas wrote:

> > From: Andy Rabagliati [mailto:andyr@xxxxxxxxx]
> >
> >   During the install I get ascii-art dialog boxes that say 44%
> >   instead of nice thermometer progress meters ..
> >
> >   What must I add back in to get graphical dialog boxes ?
> >
> >   I presume it must be something missing at the buildinstall
> >   phase ?
> >

> What all did you remove from the default install?

I went from a standard redhat 8.0 to a single 200Meg CD.

So - almost everything ..

In particular, anything X-related.

What is left ?

I have exim instead of sendmail.

I have courier-imap, ldap, dhcp, uucp, apache, ltsp, yum, a raft of custom rpms.

See http://www.wizzy.org.za/ for details.

I used yum and its helpful dependency checking to cut down comps.xml.

Everything installs fine.

I just want my (framebuffer ?  python-svga ??) graphical install back.

I believe it is the buildinstall step, that creates the floppies and
the isolinux install trees, rather than the mix of eventually-installed
RPMs, that determines this. I do not get an error message on the build
(well, I do, ldconfig has problems, but these I think are to be expected,
as it refers to replacement shared libraries).

I need a good 100 K of post-install script for my purposes, as I want
to be able to send /someone else/ a CD and boot floppy, and have an
unattended install for a Linux newbie.

On a vaguely related note, I have seen 'spare' room on the boot floppies
cut down dramatically. This reduces the number of drivers on the first
boot disk, and (for me) low headroom for kickstart scripts (big shar files
in my case). I gather from this list that RH9 now has two boot disks.

Can redhat not use an old, smaller kernel for the install phase ?

Maybe you could put the ks.cfg script on another floppy (as is possible
with a CD boot ?)

I realise that post-install scripts currently run under this kernel -
maybe the firstboot/runonce functionality should be improved to
run all the post-install scripts without hacking all those RPMs out there.

For all the folks out there that wrote anaconda - it is a great tool.

I also really like yum - which directly leverages off the python libraries.

Cheers,   Andy!