Re: "xconfig" without args breaks AS3 kickstart

> Has anyone noticed that in ks.cfg the "xconfig" directive without any
> arguments bombs anaconda for RHEL AS3?

We are using FC1, not AS3, so things may be a little bit different from
what we say here.

> The docs say that xconfig doesn't have to have the --card or --monitor
> arguments, and if left out anaconda would use what is found when
> probing. I can see that my monitor and video card are ddcprobed for, and
> detected perfectly.... but anaconda complains that it didn't find any

When anaconda ddc-probes, it just outputs what the monitor and card
claim to be. So to us humans who watch the installation process, it
looks like "wow, anaconda found my monitor", but to anaconda the probed
information only becomes useful after a second step:

On an installed system, you can find the file
/usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB. If anaconda can not find the monitor it
probed in that file, it has no idea what the correct parameters are, and
it defaults to a safe low reolution mode. In our understanding the same
thing happens if you specify "--monitor" with a model not listed in the
file.

In that case, you have two possibilities:
a) use a predefined generic definition which is close to your settings
xconfig --startxonboot --monitor="LCD Panel 1280x1024" --resolution
1280x1024 --depth 32
b) explicitly specify hsync and vsync
xconfig --startxonboot --hsync 30.0-85.0 --vsync 55.0-90.0 --resolution
1280x1024 --depth 32

For the graphic cards it is probably similar. Our cards have fortunately
all been configured correctly by anacaonda, so we are not sure exactly.
The file is in /usr/share/hwdata/Cards

And then there is even a file /usr/share/hwdata/CardMonitorCombos, which
lists some very specific combinations (currently for DELL and IBM
Thinkpad models).

> sane defaults, and says this:
>
> File "user/lib/anaconda/installclass.py", line 461, in configureX
>   self.setMiscXSettigns(id, depth, resolution, runlevel = rl)
> File "/usr/lib/anaconda/installclass.py", line 366, in setMiscXsettings
>   id.xsetup.xhwsetup.choose_sane_default()
> AttributeError:  XSetup instance has no attribute 'xhwsetup'

As noted above, if your hardware can not be found in the database files,
anaconda should actually just default to a safe low resolution. But in
your case it seems to fail trying to do just that.

Looks like a good bug.

--
Sincerely,

K.K. Alice