RE: RHL 9.0 custom boot install floppy error.

On Saturday, 11 October 2003 8:40 AM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Friday 10 October 2003 12:31, Joseph McDonald wrote:
>> I've created a linux kickstart boot floppy and an NFS share which
>> has the RHL 9.0 rpms. I've gone ahead and added all the updated
>> rpm's from updates.redhat.com to the archive and updated the hdlists.
>>
>> The I've added my network driver to the kernel modules and the
>> system get's an IP from the DHCP server and mounts the NFS drive
>> no problemo.
>>
>> It then works it's way through the ks.cfg file, formatting the disk
>> and partitioning it properly.  I'm getting stuck when trying to
>> install the first RPM, glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm. Anaconda
>> gives me an error saying the media is most likely corrupt however if
>> I alt+F2 to a shell and try to install the rpm by hand, I get the
>> following error:
>>
>>   error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
>>   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - operation not
>> permitted error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>>   warning: glibc-common-2.3.2-27.9.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
>> key ID db42a60e error: unpacking of archive failed on the file
>> /usr/bin/catchsegv;3f8724a7: cpio: mkdir failed - Inappropriate ioc
>> tl for device
>>
>> I'm not sure what's going on, I thought perhaps /var/ was read only,
>> but I'm able to create files in /var/lib/rpm/. The permissions for
>> /var/lib/rpm/Packages are 644.. so I have no idea what the problem
>> could be. Any ideas? Thanks!
>
>Can you duplicate this with stock RPMS and hdlists?

Are you changing the root for the rpm command you tested with (--root
/mnt/sysimage ?)

I have been able to install stock RH9 from NFS without any problems
(mind you, I used a CD-RW as a boot disk, rather than a floppy)

What are the options on your NFS export?

Regards,

Mike

IMPORTANT NOTICE
This communication including any file attachments is intended solely for the use
of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
or the person responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient,
please immediately notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original transmission and
its contents. Any unauthorised use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of
this communication including any file attachments is prohibited.

It is your responsibility to scan this communication including any file attachments for
viruses and other defects. To the extent permitted by law, ING and its associates
will not be liable for any loss or damage arising in any way from this communication
including any file attachments.