Re: creating kernel-BOOT rpm from vanilia kernel

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Clifford Perry wrote:

> Personally I would go with a method along lines of:
> download kernel.org kernel
> untar/bzip the kernel somewhere within /usr/src/
Never.

Build kernels almost anywhere but /usr

/usr should be mountable ro as it may be shared between systems, and if
you're going to build kernels there it cannot be.

It used to be the case, may still be, that in some distroes
/usr/src/linux contains files used by glibc's headers.

Building in $HOME is safe, sound practice. If you want somewhere else, I
have used /var/src (/var/local/src may be preferable) as /var must be
rw, is not shared.

--
Please, reply only to the list.