RE: Setting time

Jesse Keeting wrote:

> Currently we pre-set the time in the bios before
> kickstarting, because of one part of our %post section that deals with tar

> extracted files will fail if the file timestamps are in the future.
     ( lines deleted)
> And when rpms are installed in the sysimage/ area, does it also get it's
time
> from the bios?
> Is there any way to adjust this prior to the rpms being installed, or
should I
> even worry about it?

The payload files of an RPM have the same datestamp as they had on the
machine which generated the RPM. This is a 'good thing' as it exposes how
old parts of a software package really are rather than simply how long it
was since you installed it.

However other files that get created by the postinstall scripts of RPMs
(typicaly the stuff in /etc/ and such like). These get whatever the current
system clock is. It can be very confusing when these have wierd datestamps
(like in the future) .

Also 'rpm -qa --last' is a great command for seeing what software was
installed when. all the kickstart-installed rpms whoud be at the bottom of
the list and by the timestamps you can see how long it took to install this
node - good if you interested in scalablity or NFS v. http based installs.

We set the BIOS clocks correctly before installing clusters, and also do
rdate and 'hwclock -w' at the top of %post but I guess using rdate in %pre
would work too.  rdate is a very simple binary - just  c.6220 bytes and
links against only /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Yours,
Daniel.

Dr. Dan Kidger, Quadrics Ltd.      daniel.kidger@xxxxxxxxxxxx
One Bridewell St., Bristol, BS1 2AA, UK         0117 915 5505