Re: how are conflicting entries in command section handled?

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Christians, Stefan Mr. wrote:

>If I have two conflicting entries in my ks.cfg file, how are they
>handled?

[This is guesswork based on a very quick skim of the python source in
the anaconda package]

    def doKeyboard(self, id, args):
        self.setKeyboard(id, args[0])
        id.keyboard.beenset = 1
        self.skipSteps.append("keyboard")

This function suggest to me that kickstart will use the first thing it's
told, then ignore subsequent changes.

>I have made some tests in which the result was that the first entry was
>being used, so can I expect that to be standard behavior or was that
>purely random?

An interesting exercise, but why?

>And can I rely on that behavior to be consistent also in future
>releases?

Doubtful. I'm sure Redhat's language lawyers would describe what you've
discovered as "undefined" behaviour. At least, there's nothing here to
define it:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-kickstart2-file.html

If you need future release compatibility, I'd strongly suggest your
kickstart file be syntactically correct in the first place. Or you could
repeat your tests with every RH version you'd need to kickstart.

Cheers,
Phil