Re: redirect Kickstart %post output to serial console/port

We have done this, and it seems to work fine.  Just redirect your echos to
/dev/ttyS0 (or whatever device it is on).
Note, you do run a chance of mangling the device for libnewt, which is
jused by the snack library which is used
by anaconda, but from our experience its not a big deal at this stage of
the game.

If you wanted to make this safe for newt, you would need to patch the
anaconda to make a call
to newtSuspend(); before calling a %post script, and a call to
newtResume(); after the script returns.
Now those are the c library calls, and probably snack (the python binding
to libnewt) should have these
exposed (though I don't know that).

It would be a pretty minimal patch.  Probably worthy of bugzilla.

Cheers...james

                      "Marcos A.
                      Mondragon"                   To:      kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
                      <marcmo@xxxxxxxxxxxx         cc:
                      >                            Subject: redirect Kickstart %post output to serial console/port
                      Sent by:
                      kickstart-list-admin
                      @redhat.com

                      08/12/03 01:26 PM
                      Please respond to
                      kickstart-list

Hello,

I've been searching the archives in an attempt to determine if it is
possible to echo/print out information to the serial console/port during
the installs %post section?

I've seen information regarding chvt but as we do all of our installs
via a serial connection it has little value to me at this point.  I'd
like to be able to have something display to the serial port connection
(cyclades FWIW) during the %post section as we do a lot of
customizations during the install and to some it seems as if the install
has hung.

Thanks,

Marc
--
Marc Mondragon

Fox River Financial Resources/Ritchie Capital Investments, Ltd.
2100 Enterprise Avenue
Geneva, IL  60134
marcmo@xxxxxxxxxxxx