Re: new to kickstart, show me where to start

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Tommy McNeely wrote:

>I want to be able to kickstart RH9 linux boxes in much the same way one
>would "jumpstart" a Sun box. At this point, I have done..
>
>cp images/pxeboot/vmlinuz  /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/linux.1
>cp images/pxeboot/initrd.img /tftpboot/X86PC/UNDI/linux-install/linux.2
>
>*** CANNOT RUN MY OWN DHCP SERVER ON THIS NETWORK
>
>I want to have it jumpstart "automatically" using my ks.cfg (that I
>created with redhat-config-kickstart) .. but I don't know what
>"next-server" and "filename" translate to on a "Sun" DHCP server
>(currently controlling the network). But... I would be extremely happy
>if I could even get an "interactive" nfs install running...
>
>I am hitting "F12" during the bootup of a Sun LX50, and it looks like it
>tries to boot, it loads the kernel, then it loads the initrd, but then
>it just sits there... dumblike... hehe I dont know what to do next...

I can tell you what works for me, but I don't know if it'll be much
help.

What you seem to be missing from your setup is any controlling boot
loader. I don't touch the UNDI stuff in my setup; rather, dhcpd.conf has
this:

        next-server                     pxe.example.com;
        filename                        "/tftpboot/pxelinux.bin";

Where pxelinux.bin is from the PXELINUX/ISOLINUX/MEMDISK set of tools.
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default then looks like this:

serial 0,9600
default ks
prompt 1
timeout 30
label ks
  kernel vmlinuz
  append ks=nfs:10.4.1.222:/vol/redhat/rh73/kickstart/mdb/ initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=8192

and /vol/redhat/rh73/kickstart/mdb contains a kickstart file for every
host.

Without the ability to pass these kernel args, ks=... specifically, I
don't know how you'll tell the booting kernel (or first stage anaconda)
what it has to do.

Cheers,
Phil

P.S. Since you mention jumpstart; I'm trying to run a Linux jumpstart
server, but Redhat's bootparamd won't reply to broadcast addresses which
are wrong, and the Solaris mini-root assumes my 10.* IP addresses are
"class A", and broadcasts on 10.255.255.255 i.e. the wrong netmask.
This is before the netmask is set in /sbin/rcS. Any ideas?