Re: Network install problem

Scott Alexander wrote:
I'm trying to do a network install of RH 7.3 using kickstart.  I started
with the bootnet.img and have added the ks.cfg file from a past install
on similar hardware.  Once I boot the machine, I load the network driver
that is needed.  At this point, I tried with DHCP first and it doesn't
get a response back.  I checked the DHCP server and the requests reaches
it. From syslog:
Jun 21 18:39:28 booty dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:09:6b:49:4f:3e via
eth0
Jun 21 18:39:29 booty dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 172.16.10.8 to
00:09:6b:49:4f:3e via eth0

On the machine, in the alt-F4 window, I get something along the lines
of:
PUMP sending DHCPDISCOVER
breq...(snip) hardware /request information...
interface is down
interface is up
interface is half duplex 10Mbps

The network card is a broadcom that uses the tg3 driver.  I've tried
using the CDROM to start the install and I still hit the same problem
with it.

I also tried giving the machine a static IP durring install.  When I did
this, It would still have a similar problem where it would not be able
to access the network.  With this though, if I had a ping going when I
entered the IP address and selected OK, I got one or two pings back,
followed by more silence on the network from that IP address.

Is there a problem with the original 7.3 network bootdisks or specific
drivers that I need to upgrade.  I've been searching the web trying to
find out more information and solutions and have come up empty.

I've done network installs on a machine with eepro100 cards in them and
had them work fine, but this broadcom card seems to be having problems. I also tried this with a tulip based card and ran into the same issues. Do I need to upgrade to a newer version of the BOOT kernel and load that
onto the bootnet.img file?

If I left some details out, let me know and I'll get back to you guys
with them.

Thanks for any thoughts or pointers about getting this running.

Scott

This may not be the only issue here, but the tg3.o is a gigabit ethernet driver. The basic 7.3 bootnet.img does not include support for any gigabit cards. The tg3.o driver is found in the /(cdrom)/images/drvnet.img, so you'll need to generate a driver disk first and modify the installation procedure a little.

Secondarily, there are some posts in the archive here about rebuilding the driver complement on the basic bootnet.img. I've personally used this one with good success, adding e1000 support to my kickstart routine. The drvnet.img can be mounted with the '-o loop' option, and there's a modules.cgz inside that can be extracted with 'zcat modules.cgz|cpio -id' once you've copied it out to the actual hard drive. Don't try it inside the mounted .img; you'll run out of space. The basic initrd.img is actually gzipped; once gunzipped, it can be mounted with the '-o loop option'. Inside, there's a modules/ dir with a modules.cgz like the one you saw in drvnet.img and a module-info file that must be edited. Follow the instructions in the link below for more details. Best of luck.

http://sysadmin.cs.caltech.edu/docs/help/Linux/make_custom_boot_disk

--

John Beamon
Systems Administrator