Re: RH9 Kickstart over network

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Mike Smith wrote:

>  All,
>
>  I'm new to the list. However I'm not new to kickstart.
>
>  I'm not too sure why the boot disks were changed away from boot.img and
> bootnet.img. If you can make me see the light, then cool. But from where I sit, it
> seems like a bad idea!

Too much stuff for the floppy image. You can (I think) use a CD.

>  Now for my issue. I've always thought of kickstart as a way to automate the install
> process by answering some of the questions from anaconda. That being said, we have
> been using it to allow for a SINGLE boot floppy to re-image machines when they
> break or have some other major problem. The nice thing about this is you can have
> any bone head stick in the floppy and reboot with out having them swap disks and
> answer a bunch of questions.

A SINGLE disk worked for some (most) cases, but not all, without some of
the fiddling you've been doing.

>  Now with RH 9 everything is broke unless you use 2 install disks. This kinda blows
> the whole automation thing out the window.
>
>  Here is what I did to TRY and get around the shortcomings of this NEW KICKSTART.
>
>  I rebuilt my initrd.img from the bootdisk.img and I added 3c59x.o to the the
> modules.cgz and updated the pcitable, module-info, and modules.dep. After checking
> the docs for kickstart I added the following to ks.cfg
>
>  device eth 3c59x
>
>  Well, this caused anaconda to blow up and crash the install. If I remove that line
> from the ks.cfg then I get prompted to select a driver for the ftp install. I see
> the driver I added to the disk and it loads fine and the install continues on as
> normal.

A good alternative is to build a kernel with the driver builtin, not as
a module. While you're at it, turn it for your specific requirements.
There's also a better chance you'll get what you want on ne floppy.

>  I'd like to see someone fix this issue. I know I'm not the only person that likes
> the SINGLE floppy install method. From a quick look, it doesn't seem like it would
> be very hard to keep this in play for us that CAN build our own initrd images.

I said as much wrt an earlier release.

>  Someone in an earlier thread stated the following.
>
> "Depends on what one defines the purpose of kickstart to be. If it's to
> automate the Q+As in the install and allow for custom scripting, then
> that still works. If it's to allow single-floppy full automated
> installs, then no, that's not provided any more."
>
>  My question is....Who should define how the kickstart is to be used. Shouldn't it
> be us users that actually use it? Or is this something that someone is trying to
> cram down our throats to make us use kickstart they way THEY want it to be. Hmmm
> Microsoft comes to mind.
>
>  Enough of my ranting. Like I said. If I'm way off base here then please let me
> know. I'm open to hear why this was changed when it was working so well.

I'm past caring: I've moved most of my stuff to Debian and don't expect
to be doing more RHL installs. Debian's also given me new freedom in
hardware choice: runs on pretty much any hardware I can find.

What should solve your difficulties is the Etheroot project. You can put
bootrom software on floppy and use it ti load a kernel+initrd off the
network. Doesn't do PXE, but shouldn't be too hard to get working.

See http://www.etherboot.org/ http://rom-o-matic.net/
http://www.thinguin.org/

--
Please, reply only to the list.