Re: RH9 network KS w/multiple interfaces?

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Adam Glass wrote:

> I'm trying to Kickstart a machine with multiple Ethernet interfaces.
> I'm using RH9.0.  I have what I think is a reasonable Kickstart config
> file, but the installer disagrees.  :)  It pops up a message saying:
> "You have multiple interfaces on this system.  Which would you like to
> install through?"  (Once I give it one, it continues along just fine.)
>
> Now, I know that the "network" configuration directive can take a
> "--device=" argument that is "Used to select a specific Ethernet
> device for installation."  Unfortunately, the documentation goes on to
> say that "--device= will not be effective unless the kickstart file is
> a local file (such as ks=floppy)" ... which it's not; it was retrieved
> via NFS.  Google searches and the Redhat documentation have let me

Well then, how's it to know which interface to use to get the ks file?

If you're using PXE (or similar) put the ks file in the initrd.

If you're booting from floppy, put the ks file on that. I _think_ that
with more recent Anaconda you can play games in %pre to generate more ks
info which you %include. Check the docs.

One final thought, if your NIC through which you install uses a
different driver from all the others, only have that one driver
available at install time.

Possibly, depending on the driver, you can locate what's being usedto
creat modules.conf and force the driver to only recognise one NIC.

> down.  Surely there is someone out there doing this... ?
>
> TIA,
> Adam

Please, reply only to the list.