Linux Uniprocess / SMP Build Detection

Greetings,

When I build a single CPU box, RedHat Automatically assumes Non-SMP in Lilo as my standard boot kernel.

When I build an SMP box, it defaults to the Enterprise (AS) or SMP capable kernel in lilo.

I'd like to know how/where this intelligence is exercised...  How it works.

I'm working with Vmware (which supports only UP) and having problems with RH somehow knowing that the Vmware host is SMP.

Vmware guest instances build with RH AS2.1 and default to the Enterprise Kernel even though `cat /proc/cpuinfo` shows only a single cpu - consequently, I'm forced to do some creative lilo manipulation
during build and first boot in my kickstart process.

Mike