Re: any news of a new RH release?

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 15:01, John Beamon wrote:
> I know that the entire kickstart system has been rewritten.  XML, cd iso
> images instead of floppies, the works.

I wouldn't say that the kickstart system has been rewritten.  A lot of
care has been taken to try to keep actual kickstart configuration
creation as compatible as possible.   As for things surrounding the
installation process, yes, the comps file has changed and we've added
some flexibility to the booting process to accommodate the fact that
floppies are (finally!) reaching obsolescence.

> 1. When can we expect at least a rumor of 9.1?

You can expect to know when the next version of Red Hat Linux is
released when it is released.  I guess that beta releases could be
considered rumors as well :)

> 3.  A repost from a couple days ago that has gone completely
> untouched... is there a feature analogous to "lilocheck" in kickstart
> that is applicable to Red Hat's default bootloader for the last THREE
> production releases?  In my meager experience, lilocheck has not halted
> for the presence of grub on the MBR.  If I'm missing something or
> holding my mouth wrong when I do it, please just let me know.

I just posted a reply, but basically, it's not going to happen.  There's
too large a variety of ways that booting can be done and there's not a
deterministic way to be able to handle this in a way that doesn't make
me go crazy ;)

Jeremy