Re: LVM on top of software RAID?

Once upon a time, james.oden@xxxxxxxxxxx <james.oden@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> I was wondering why would one want to create meta-devices and then put
> lvm's on top
> of them?  Can't lvm do the same thing as meta-devices (i.e. the various
> raid combinations)?

LVM (well LVM1 anyway) on Linux cannot do any type of redundancy.  It
can concat and stripe, but that is it.  To get redundancy, you have to
use RAID (either hardware or software).

> It could do this on HP/UX (which is where I have used lvm).

Linux LVM is not (yet) as advanced as on some other platforms, but it is
getting there.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>