RE: Kickstart User Creation

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Joshi, Vinay (MED, GEMS-IT) wrote:

> I dont know the issue with encrypted passwds. As said before can be
> picked up from shadow file.
> or if you really want..  generate it .Create an executable ( compiled 4
> line C code, using crypt(), and seed as same as supplied passwd
> generates the system passwds)

One thing bothers me no end. These passwords are generated with a salt.
I've looked that the code (on Debian, that being to hand), and I see
where the salt is a somewhat-randomly-generated string.

I used this code:
summer@Numbat:~$ cat bin/pw.encrypt
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$passwd = $ARGV[0];
$salt = "\$1\$".$ARGV[1]."\$";

print(crypt($passwd, $salt)."\n");
summer@Numbat:~$

to generate encrypted passwords for one of the accounts here, and it
doesn't match what is actually used.

But then, I have the same root password on two RHL boxes, and the values
in /etc/shadow differ too.

So how does the checking work?

Using the excellent advice to use the passwd command:
[root@quokka root]# useradd fred
[root@quokka root]# echo fred | passwd --stdin fred
Changing password for user fred.
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully.
[root@quokka root]# grep fred /etc/shadow
fred:$1$iyQ05jRt$iMf.XwnD7iUhI3Tv45ZPI.:12171:0:99999:7:::
[root@quokka root]#

Works well, but ...
[root@gw root]# useradd fred
[root@gw root]# echo fred | passwd --stdin fred
Changing password for user fred
passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully
[root@gw root]# grep fred /etc/shadow
fred:$1$le3EjRvD$CDd82emph.w1nTPnW0k5z1:12171:0:99999:7:::
[root@gw root]#

Different encrypted passwords!!

--
Please, reply only to the list.