RE: [Yum] deploying and maintaining linux networks howto

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 james.oden@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> In an oem envrironment, often times you you need to keep repositories of
> errata rpms around.
> Something like YUM can work for this, but only if:
>
>       - it downloads but does not install the rpms (i.e. it can be set to
> do this).
>       - it can determine what needs to be downloaded from the repository.
>
> up2date will allow you to download rpms and not install them, but it
> downloads them all ever time
> because ultimately its checking the systems database.  In an evironment
> where you are trying to just
> keep a repository of all the latest errata for a particular release, this
> just wastes time.

I think you are trying to use the wrong tool for the job. IMHO rsync is
better suited for maintaining repositories. It as well as other software
can be run from cron and take care of things automagically. It is trivial
to setup and once setup requires little maintanance.

Just my $.02 though.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....