Re: not quite happy with RH9 kickstart

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, moreta wrote:

>I've set up my new 9 nfs server and used bootdisk.img to ks my parallel
>machines...but I keep getting this nasty message about needing drivers etc...

Network drivers are supplied separately on drvnet.img.

>I made a cd that contains all of the various information that it needs for its
>drivers but...it seems to me that defeats the purpose of kickstart doesn't it?

Depends on what one defines the purpose of kickstart to be. If it's to
automate the Q+As in the install and allow for custom scripting, then
that still works. If it's to allow single-floppy full automated
installs, then no, that's not provided any more.

>The reason I got into ks was to get it set up so that when my research
>students crash their system I can tell them to pop in the floppy and hit
>reboot. Now I have to tell them pop in a floppy AND a CD and hit reboot?

You could:

- Rebuilt bootdisk.img to include the modules you need (not tested,
might break some anaconda assumptions about where modules are located).
- Customise and burn the provided boot.iso to CD, and install solely
from that.
- Use a "PXE floppy" or the hardware of the PC to kick off a PXE
install, where the network drivers can be transferred over the network
:).

Hope this helps,
Phil