From: Jason Kohles [mailto:email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 11:31
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: rhnreg_ks

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:13:40AM -0700, Sean P. Kane wrote:
> Has anyone used "rhnreg_ks" to automate rhn_registration and up2date
> usage? I am installing RHAS 2.1 via kickstart an ran into a small
> problem with updates, which of course Red Hat won;t really help solve,

> since I am not using up2date, but instead am simply doing an rpm -Fvh
> on the update rpms. I got this tool to work in it's most basic form,
> but I could not get crypted passwords to work correclty and there
> doesn't seem to be a way to unregister a system automatically which
> makes testing this almost impossible since once I register a system, I

> can't easily unregister it and try the kickstart install again. Any
> thoughts? Also, are there any other hidden tools like this to ease
> kickstart installs?

There is no provision for encrypted passwords for this tool, because the
password must be used to login to RHN so you have to give it the clear
text one.  To keep the password safe login to the website and look at
the 'Activation Key' feature, which lets you create an activation key
that can be used with rhnreg_ks to register machines without specifying
a username and password.

--
Jason Kohles                         A witty saying proves nothing.
email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   -- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)