RE: Terminate a CDROM install from %pre

Well, I appreciate all the discussion, and I realize my wants may have
broader implications.

We are trying to do as few distribution source modifications as possible, so
I will probably do a little more experimentation.

I know I can halt the install with a simple "read dummy <
/dev/tty<whichever>" after echoing out something like "Critical
preinstallation step has failed, press system reset button and eject CDROM"
> /dev/tty<whichever>.  I was just hoping for a little less manual
intervention.  I imagine that an eject command would fail because the device
is busy.  Otherwise, I'd do a reboot from the %pre.

I presume there is yet hope.  I believe if there is a python exception (like
a malformed comps file), the install will halt.  (although, as I recall, the
system does not automatically reboot because it wants you to look at the
debug output)  Not being a python programmer (yet, anyway), perhaps there is
a way to invoke whatever python error-handler gets called from my %pre
script?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Donald E. Bodle, Jr.
Sr. Systems Integration Engineer