RE: Shrinking the kickstart image

Use grub with a tftp session..

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Fahrner [mailto:Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 12:31 PM
To: kickstart-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Shrinking the kickstart image

We have building our own "initrd.img" files with added modules for our
kickstart floppy. Unfortunately under "rawhide" (aka: 8.1, soon to be
9.0) the kernel plus our modules no longer fit on a 1.4 meg floppy.

My answer was to chop out any bogus modules and build own BOOT kernel
deconfiging extra stuff not needed.

The problem I've found is that now this new kernel doesn't find the
modules we've placed in out "initrd.img" (no, there are no versioning
issues). In fact if I slim our "initrd.img" down (by leaving out some
of the modules we usually want) and just use the generic kernel you
come out with from using the "kernel-2.4.20-i386-BOOT.config" file, it
doesn't find the modules either. The same slimmed "initrd.img" works
fine with the kernel found in "bootdisk.img" (ie: it does find the
modules - in particular an "e1000.o" we've added).

The issue as far as I can tell appears that the "bootdisk.img" kernel
looks in "/modules/modules.cgz" and the built kernel does not. Maybe
I'm wrong though.

So, does anyone have a guess what I need to do here? Is there
something I'm not setting in the kernel build to set the module search
path?

Any help would be appreciated.

			- Matt

Matt Fahrner                                    2 South Park St.
Manager of Networking                           Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse               Lebanon, N.H.  03766
TEL: (603) 448-4100 xt 5150                     USA
FAX: (603) 443-6190                             Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx