pre-partitioning in %pre (7.3)

Lately I have been getting some replacement disks which either
have no pre-existing partitions on them or have bad pre-existing
partitions from earlier versions of linux.

I am trying to put a sfdisk command in the %pre section of my kickstart.

something like:

sfdisk /tmp/hda << EOD
0 3000 L
3001 2000 S
5002

EOD

--------------
the kickstart file can find the sfdisk command, but it gives
me the error message that /tmp/hda doesn't exist...and sure
enough, when I add an "ls /tmp" statement for debugging purposes,
it doesn't exist.

My question is--is there any way to run an "sfdisk" command
in the %pre section of kickstart and let it actually find and
do something to the disks?

I know that in theory the

clearpart --drives hda

command in kickstart should clear out the partitions on the hda
drive and help me to start fresh, but in fact it clears out
all partitions, whether on hda or not.

Steve

Steven C. Timm (630) 840-8525  timm@xxxxxxxx  http://home.fnal.gov/~timm/
Fermilab Computing Division/Core Support Services Dept.
Assistant Group Leader, Scientific Computing Support Group
Lead of Computing Farms Team