Re: hands-off upgrade

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:07:27PM +0800, John wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Jim Wildman wrote:
>
> > 2) Buy licenses and use RedHat Network which will allow you to schedule
> > upgrades from a web interface.
>
> I don't think that upgrades from one release to the next either.

It is possible to do this, but just so the RHN guys don't get angry at me
I'll point out that this technique is UNSUPPORTED and could be DANGEROUS.

That being said however, I've upgraded dozens of machines from 7.2/7.3 to
8.0 by installing the 8.0 redhat-release package, and then run 'up2date -p',
which causes the machine to lie to RHN about what it is running.  You will
then see a few hundred packages that need to be upgraded, run 'up2date -u'
and it should upgrade.  You can speed this process up significantly if you
put all the .rpms off the CD for the version you are upgrading to into a
directory somewhere (or a network drive and mount it to the machine you
are upgrading), and specify the -k option to up2date, so that it will only
download those packages that you don't already have.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@xxxxxxxxxx
Senior Engineer                 Red Hat Professional Consulting