Re: hands-off upgrade

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Jim Wildman wrote:

> There are at least 3 ways to do this.
> 1) Use something like Yum (http://dulug.duke.edu/yum) which will allow
> you to do 'yum upgrade'

I've looked at the website, and it looks nice. but it's not at all
obvious to me it would upgrade from one release of RHL to another.

> 2) Buy licenses and use RedHat Network which will allow you to schedule
> upgrades from a web interface.

I don't think that upgrades from one release to the next either.

> 3) Configure PXE boot so if the box is rebooted and a particular link is
> in place it reinstalls, else boot from the local drive.

This has possibilities, but needs some care and attention to work. AFAIK
it only works if your NIC actually supports PXE.

It may also be possible to configure LILO or GRUB to have a boot option
that runs your updater. You would install the upgrade package (possibly
pretty much what's on the standard RHL CD, possibly in its own
partition)

You would configure the bootloader to boot your installer, reboot and
off it goes.

In the %post section of your ks file, it reconfigurs the bootloader to
return to your regular program when it reboots.

I think when it works it would work wonderfully, but when it fails (and
there's always the possibility of something going awry, just ask NASA),
you will need the Big Shovel.

Something you should consider carfully is the need to upgrade the
software so often. The single greatest cause of failures here is
misbegotten software upgrades.

If the system is working well, but you need that gee-which new package
in The Latest RHL, consider building the src.rpm. Often that's quite
painless, and a low-risk path to follow.

I don't imagine you'd often need to upgrade for new hardware support -
after all, the system's already working, isn't it? Sometimes a kernel
from a later release can be a good thing - I was running Rawhide .17
kernels because I discovered a 30% improvement in disk performance over
the early RHL 7.x kernels.

If you find you only need to upgrade to new releases once every two years
instead of every six months, you immediately reduce your workload and
the risk of doing something bad. That has to be good for reliability.