Re: buildinstall....or not to buildinstall.....

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 20:55, Skahan, Vince wrote:
> I've been over and over Tony's "Redhat 7 Customised Installer" HOWTO and Luigi's "Burning a RedHat CD HOWTO" documents and am still not sure I'm 'getting it' regarding the procedure to come up with a custom redhat-8.0 cdrom. When are the various steps required vs. when are they optional ?  How do you know what's mandatory and what's optional ?
>
> Lets run through a few scenarios...
>
> Assume that the goal is to come up with a one-CD redhat-8.0 that will 'always' be installed via kickstart, sometime from local cdrom, sometime from local disk, and sometime using http.
>
> Is the following correct for redhat-8.0 ?
>
> My reading of the two docs above say that the basic procedure is:
>  - copy redhat-8.0 cd-1 to disk
>  - tweak the RedHat/RPMS tree to have just the rpms we need

You may want to add a step: check dependencies of the remaining RPMs

>  - run genhdlist against that tree to synch up its base/hdlist + hdlist2 files to the RPMS dir
>  - don't worry with comps.xml since we didn't cause any new dependencies (stripping it down is optional ?)

Actually, I don't really think that comps.xml is really used for
dependency checking (at least not yet). I think hdlist{,2} is used for
that.

If you removed any RPMs that were in the Base and Core groups, then you
will need to worry about the comps.xml file, since Base and Core are
installed by default.

>  - don't bother running buildinstall, the package order didn't change
>  - skip splitdistro and second genhdlist (it will fit on one cd)
>  - run mkisofs and you're done
>
> Now consider modifying that cd to add all current updates
>  - copy the built-above cd to disk
>  - tweak the RedHat/RPMS tree to supersede the updated rpms
>  - run genhdlist to update the mapping of package name to precise (updated) filename
>  - skip changing comps.xml since no new dependencies were created

(see above)

>  - skip buildinstall since the package order didn't change
>  - skip splitdistro and second genhdlist (it still fits on one cd)
>  - run mkisofs and you're done
>
> Now add some custom rpms to that cd
>  - copy the built-above cd including the updates
>  - add the custom rpms to RedHat/RPMS
>  - run genhdlist to update the mapping of package name to precise filename
>  - do we need to add the new rpms to comps.xml if we always install via kickstart ?

No...unless you specify the package list by group. For example, you
could add a new group to comps.xml, and then list your new RPMs in that
group. Then in the %packages section, just specify that group, instead
of all of the packages explicitly.

>  - do we need to run buildinstall at all ?

Humm, I don't think so...

>  - if it fits on one cd, skip splitdistro and second genhdlist ?

I don't think so...

    --brett

--
Brett Schwarz