Re: Kickstarting multi-homed PXE client

On 18 Feb 2003, John P. Campbell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've observed a problem when kickstarting PXE clients containing
> multiple interfaces and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on
> this. I've already performed a kickstart installation via PXE without
> any problems on a system with a single interface, but problems arise
> when installing on a system with two or more interfaces.

I wrote last night to Peter suggesting that it would be nice to have
pxelinux add ip= to the kernel commandline parameters.

I then downloaded the latest (2.0.2, there's a security update) and
began looking to see where the changes might need to be made.

I discovered that it's already done, the documentation is notin
pxelinux.doc but in syslinux.doc!

So, your startup scripts _can_ discover the IP address, server details
and so on from the kernel commandline.

However, I do not know how to tie this information back to a particular
interface.

> The PXE client boots, obtains the correct kernel and initrd images, uses
> eth0 as ksdevice, gets the ks.cfg and places it in /tmp, but then fails.
> It works great on a non-PXE, floppy based installation, but kickstart
> fails completely when using the same ks.cfg via PXE. Also, kickstart
> cannot properly fall back to an interactive installation - an attempt to
> mount the nfs image gives "device or resource busy" on one of the VCs.Is
> this an indication that the nfs directory is already mounted?
>
> Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not sure I've been as helpful to you as I'd like, but maybe someone
else will find it useful info.

--
Please, reply only to the list.