Re: integrating updates

> It's accessible from my client installs. It was working well for NFS,
> I've switched to using HTTP more recently, but I've done lest testing in
> that context.
>
> If I make an updated tree, its release number gets a letter (u for
> updated).
>
> Extras contains additional packages I want to install. ks contains
> kickstart files. dist contains the contents of the ISOs, created as per
> the instructions on the CD. updates is a mirror of the relevant RHL
> updates tree.
>
> I have an Apache virtualhost configured for the area, pointing at
> /var/ftp/pub/ which is also my nfs export (ro).
>
> When I create an updated tree, I prefer to do it on another machine to
> ensure I don't clobber anything important.

Here is the gist of my maintenance mechanism:

1. copy the rpms I want to add/update the tree with to some dir, so
they're all together.

2. I normally check sigs, sign them, etc, at this point

3. then I run add-rpm and tell it to test them for addition to the tree

4. if all tests out sanely then it copies the new rpms to a subdir at
the same level where RedHat is. Then copies the old ones out to /tmp and
symlinks the new ones into place.

5. Then I run a second script which depchecks the tree (using yum)
rebuilds the yum headers, and builds the hdlist.

6. Then I rsync it to the distribution http/ftp server for campus.

Does that make any sense?

-sv