Re: integrating updates

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 12:04, Timothy E. Miller wrote:
> The problem with this is that the number of updates for RH7.3 are
> getting to be rather large.  It is no longer a few % of the install
> time to update the packages in %post...more like 25-50% or so, or
> if you installed (almost) everything in the base install, then
> updating could double your install time.
>
> Merging the updates into the hdlist (even if you did it a month or
> two ago) and *then* updating your system in %post (by yum or autoupdate
> or whatever) will save a LOT of time.

Check out the treetools stuff. It should help you with merges. I agree -
installing the new stuff is easier out of the first install.

Though something I'm considering for the future is - especially for
servers is:

install Core
boot system
make yum do the rest of the installs

that way I can multi-task b/t installations and app configuration.

-sv