Re: NFS vs. HTTP

On 29 Jan 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> I've switched entirely to http-based installs and %posts b/c it's just
> cleaner - mainly b/c it means I can do an install from anywhere that can
> reach an http server - which is typically trivial to make happen.

I have decided that, with my 512K ADSL connection, it's realistic to
install directly off my chosen mirror.

I have configured Squid to cache big files for a long time in a big
cache, and my firewall for transparent proxy. I've not actually done it
with RH, but it surely works a treat with Debian.

Prime the cache with an unattended install of everything you're likely
to need,, then future installs work from the local network.

Unless you really want the ISOs, it's a Great Way to Go.

--
Please, reply only to the list.