RE: Kickstart partition question

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 14:45, Nguyen, Hang wrote:
> In that case, does Jumpstart work on Linux box?
>
> I know between Linux boxes, kickstart works fine.  And between Solaris
> boxes, Jumpstart works fine.  However, in my case, I have to deal with two
> different OS: Linux as a boot server, and Solaris a client box, and I don't
> really know what kickstart and jumpstart can/cannot do.
>
> Can I bundle the whole Solaris OS software in a package of some sorts and
> use kickstart on Linux to transfer that package to Sparc machine, and use
> jumpstart to boot and install Solaris?  Sound so complicated and weird, I
> guess.

If:
   Jumpstart can load files from an NFS server
and if:
   You have configured your Linux machine as an NFS server
and if:
   Your Linux machine has enough disk space to store whatever
   files/packages you need in order to install your Solaris machine
   via Jumpstart, and store it in whatever format and file system
   hierarchy that Jumpstart requires
and if:
   You have enabled NFS access to your Linux machine from your Solaris
   machine
and if:
   You know how to tell Jumpstart to load its files from your Linux
   NFS server machine

then you can probably do what you want to do.  Again, you will probably
find out if this is possible and get help in doing it on a
Solaris-oriented mailing list or news group.

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx