automating printer configuration

Thanks in advance for all help.

I have a current working kickstart (always room for improvement) for
redhat 7.3 that requires me to manually configure the printer queues
after the machine has finished installing.

I would like to automate this process but my current attempts are
failing.
What I have tried:

set up a queue called testprinter using printtool on master machine and
test with lpr -P testprinter testfile works

copy the information in /etc/printcap to newmachine:/etc/printcap.local
use rsync (-Carve ssh) to create and copy /var/spool/lpr to
newmachine:/var/spool/lpr

ssh to new machine
check permissions match those on original machine

restart lpd - it uses /etc/printcap.local to generate a new
/etc/printcap

test with lpr -P testprinter testfile
nothing comes out
lpq -P testprinter
shows the file removed right after being sent:
Printer: testprinter@newmachine
 Queue: no printable jobs in queue

Once I get it right I can learn what directories to tar up and add it to
my %post install.

All thoughts, ideas and suggestions welcome.

Sincerely,
Scott