Custom CD boot kernel

Hello all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask about this, so if I am in error, please let me know. Anyway, I am trying to replace the kernel that boots the RedHat installer off of the CD. I have a known working kernel, and I replaced the vmlinuz on the boot288.img with that kernel. I also modified the initial ramdisk to have the modules I need. When I boot the CD, it brings up the kernel fine, starts install (and then /sbin/loader), and then fails with the following error (from virtual terminal 3):

kickstarting through device hdc

trying to mount device hdc

mntloop loop0 on /mnt/runtime as /mnt/source/RedHat/base/stage2.img fd is -1

LOOP_SET_FD failed: Bad file number

The kernel sees the CD-ROM drive as hdc (and it obviously boots from it), so the device is there. In addition, the kernel certainly has loop support. Finally, to test the integrity of the CD, I put it in another box, and mounted the stage2.img without any problems. I am really at a loss here.

I guess my question is twofold about this:

1. I am not exactly sure how the whole boot process (off of CD or floppy works). I know that in syslinux.cfg, there is "append ks ...", which I assume tells the kernel (somehow) that it should read the kickstart file. After the kernel does it's thing and boots, I don't really know how it passes off control to install and /sbin/loader, and then how that passes off to anaconda. If someone could explain this process to me, that would be a start.

2. If anyone has any ideas about why it can't mount stage2.img, that would be extremely helpful.

(Sorry for the long e-mail).

Thank you,
Chris Lalancette

--